Take control of your code with these programming best practices from Kevlin Henney. At JAOO Aarhus 2008 Kevlin used a trash can, vampires, a train wreck, whiskey and much more to make you understand and remember his 13 constructive points (a programmer’s dozen) about programming and code smells.
The 13 points made by Kevlin were:
- 0. Prefer code to comments.
- 1. Follow a consistent form.
- 2. Employ the contract metaphor.
- 3. Express independent ideas independently.
- 4. Encapsulate.
- 5. Parameterize from above.
- 6. Restrict mutability of state.
- 7. Favor symmetry over asymmetry.
- 8. Sharpen fuzzy logic.
- 9. Go with the flow.
- 10. Let code decide.
- 11. Omit needless code.
- 12. Unify duplicate code.