Mobile design is an entirely new breed of design says Brian Fling; you need to think of your app as a great book; it has a clear beginning, middle and end.
Fling identifies 6 rules for designing apps that we should follow:
- Understand the medium – Get to know the difference between mobile and other mediums.
- Get your data dialled – Data is the new content and it comes from everywhere.
- Be the master of context – Dive into context, it is the easiest way to level up to awesomeness.
- Design for interaction – A gift for pixel perfection and a psychology degree can come in handy.
- Focus on the details – Small screens don’t make things easier. They make things a lot harder.
- Allow ample time – It takes a lot longer than you might think.
Fling’s presentation at @media 2011 can be found on Slideshare. It’s long, but certainly worth a viewing.